So, it's spring already in the Solarium. I've been waiting just for the right time to plant my mushrooms. I'm fairly certain it won't get too cold in the solarium, although I'm taking a risk. If colder times come, I'll just have to move my logs inside to the basement.
Step by step:
First I pulled out the stored alder logs my neighbor Raymond helped me cut last fall. I stored them inside to dry where no other molds or mushroom spore could find them. (I'm assuming)
Next I got Curt's electric drill with a 5/8 inch drill bit and started drilling holes about 1 inch deep.
I made the holes in a diamond pattern, but only on the top so I could lay them down and have the mushrooms sprout up---I hope! :-)
Next I took my mushroom spore plugs and inserted them in the holes.
I needed a rubber hammer to pound them in. Sometimes they didn't go all the way in. But I pounded them flush with the wood. I hope that's okay.
WISH ME LUCK! :-)